Friday, April 4, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!



My Daddy is the kindest man I have ever known. I gave him the book The Giving Tree for Christmas because that is who he has been in my life---someone who continually sacrificially gives of himself to make the dreams in my heart come true. His generosity and gentleness have defined who our family has become. It is a legagy I want to live...


Some Interesting Facts about My Dad:
  1. He is a scratch golfer (zero handicap) who can go head to head with the best of the best about golf trivia. He played on the UNC golf team (Go Tarheels!) and has played over 10,000 rounds of golf (He might even beat Tiger in that stat because he has a few years on Tiger :).
  2. He is very competitive. He hit my mom in the head with a racquetball so hard that she fell to the ground during an intense match that he was losing. It was an accident, but they wisely decided to never compete against each other again.
  3. He is a Southern Gentleman who is always looking for ways to bless and encourage others. Last week someone at church told me if they are having a hard day, they go and stand next to my parents because they seem to effuse love.
  4. He was the number one salesman in his company because he has a way with people. He is loaded with personality, a great conversationalist, and man of his word.
  5. As the years of progressed, he has come into a deeper walk with the Lord and a deeper level of surrender. He has been given so many gifts and has been very successful, but has given himself back to God. Like Jim Elliot, he has realized, “He is no fool that gives up what He cannot keep to gain what He cannot lose.”


I am a Daddy’s girl. One of our favorite movies to watch together is Father of the Bride. There are many moments in the movie when Steve Martin reminds me of my Dad, but my favorite is when he gives his daughter her wedding gift. He is embarrassed because the in-laws bought her a much more expensive gift (a new car). As she unwraps the cappuccino machine she says, “I couldn’t love anything more.” Looking at her from across the room, he whispers under his breath, “My thoughts exactly.” My Daddy’s love has been one of the most tangible pictures that the Lord has used to teach me about the constancy of His character and to show me His unrelenting heart for me. They say that 80 percent of women marry someone like their Dad- I am praying to be so blessed! Happy Birthday Daddy!


You are loved!




No comments: